Sunday, 18 July 2010

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness (1995)

To me this is my very favourite non punk related album of all time. A double cd 28 track masterpiece. I cannot listen to one single track without listening to all 28. I just love it. I'm not saying you will as with the Pumpkins you either like or dislike - there's no inbetween with them it seems. Some of its manic,some mellow,some happy,some sad but all of it outstanding to me. I was in a very dark place when this album was released - a place I stayed for some time too due to a number of family related deaths and a relationship breakup. Major depression! This album helped me more than any person did and that's just one of the reasons I adore it. Music is my therapy. I don't need a reason to upload this album but for me this blog is not complete without this masterpiece.


What I want to know is what is your all time favourite non punk related album? Your non punk related "desert island disc" if you like?



CD1 (Dawn To Dusk)



01) Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
02) Tonight, Tonight
03) Jellybelly
04) Zero
05) Here Is No Why
06) Bullet With Butterfly Wings
07) To Forgive
08) An Ode To No One
09) Love
10) Cupid De Locke
11) Galapogos
12) Muzzle
13) Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans
14) Take Me Down



CD2 (Twilight To Starlight)



01) Where Boys Fear To Tread
02) Bodies
03) Thirty-Three
04) In The Arms Of Sleep
05 1979
06) Tales Of A Scorched Earth
07) Thru The Eyes Of Ruby
08) Stumbleine
09) X.Y.U.
10) We Only Come Out At Night
11) Beautiful
12) Lily (My One And Only)
13) By Starlight
14) Farewell And Goodnight




Link



http://rapidshare.com/files/406792429/Mellon_Collie_and_the_Infinite_Sadness.rar.html

18 comments:

gobshyte said...

my fave non-punk album has to be johnny cash 'live from folsom prison'.an absolutely stunning live album.you can even hear the guards doing announcements over the prison p.a in the background,johnny cash and his band including carl perkins are just brilliant.check out the expanded version if you havent got it.i never get tired of listening to this
cheers

EricC said...

I was just talking about Folsom with someone yesterday. That is one of the LPs I grew up with and I still love it. The expanded version was very odd to me the first few times through, since they edited the show a lot to fit it on one LP. It is brilliant.

For my DID, Quadrophenia. Townsend's masterpiece. It's my favorite album of all time.

Longy said...

Good choices lads. I must admit I never gave J Cash the time of day until a few years when a mate lend me the Folsom Prison album and I was impressed.

Quadrophenia is indeed Townsend's masterpiece. I love the film too.

Highlander said...

I had to double-take the release date, 1995. FFS that album's already 15 years old and yet in my head it came out "a few years ago". Think I'll go for a lie down with a cup of tea.

And ye, Johnny Cash at Folsom is good. I have only recently discovered it. There was a thing on some Sky channel the other week where he was playing San Quentin. That was good too.

Longy said...

Ah,I take it you like this album then Highlander? I hope so.

I haven't heard San Quentin to be truthful but I will seek it out. Cheers old bean.

Robot Demon said...

Thanks for the great blog...
In response to another question I read at the Time Zone - World Destruction post, Afrika Bambatta was a dj from the Bronx NY who was integral to the foundation of hip hop , and pioneered electronic funk. He is a legend around my way....
Wow, a world of spinning choices. Reggae, country, folk, rock, soul, blues...
Sattamassagana- Abyssinians
Hank Williams - 24 Greatest hits Vol. II (sorry- compilation)
Anodyne - Uncle Tupelo
Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
James Brown - Live in Dallas 1968

man it goes on and on...
Keep up the good work.

Trudi said...

I never cared for Smashing Pumpkins, although I did buy "1979" and still find it hugely moving. When this album came out I heard it several times a day cos the guy who lived beneath me played it constantly. Literally, he'd play it all day. Loud (he was a drummer). This went on for weeks.

Fave non-punk album (and actually my face album, period): "Sweet Baby James" by James Taylor. These days it's easy to dismiss 'sweet loving man JT' (and we're still talking Taylor here, not Terry) as a conservative MOR doddler but "Sweet Baby James" has every bit as much grit as "Melon Collie": much of the record has plenty in common with the darkness of "1979", for instance.

Longy said...

This is why I asked the question Mark. I want you to rattle it down to one album!

Thanks for the Afrika Bambatta info Robot Demon. Interesting stuff. Good call the Abyssinians. Satta is my favourite reggae album.

Hi Steve. See what I mean about having to play the whole album? Your neighbour obviously thought like I did (and still do) You have to play the whole thing.

I must admit to never hearing that James Taylor Sweet Baby James. I've heard odd tracks by Taylor but I will seek it out and give it a listen.

Cheers guys.

Anonymous said...

I am from the school of music that if its good - its good regardless of genre. I've been playing Dark Side of the Moon on at least a weekly basis for nearly 37 years and still blows my mind. Gorecki's Symphony No.3 is also genius and runs it a close 2nd.

Longy said...

I've got to admit I do like Floyd Mullers but Dark Side isn't one of my favourites. I prefer The Wall,Animals,Wish You Were Here and being a miserable bastard,The Final Cut over that one. Can't say I've heard of Gorecki's Symphony No.3 but if you recommend it,I'll give it go.

Just listening to that James Taylor now Steve. Nice and mellow stuff. Love the song Fire and Rain.

Marky Dread said...

I really like this album although my favourite Smashing Pumpkins song is "Disarm".

Non punk faves:

Little Richard - Original British Hit Singles.

Muddy Waters - At Newport 1960.

The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin.

Longy said...

I'm not too keen on Little Richard Marky. Muddy Waters is someone I've never listened to (but will try it) and the Flaming Lips is a band I've totally forgot about and must rediscover.

Cheers mate


Just downloading Gorecki's Symphony No.3 now Mullers!

Longy said...

Wow Mullers that Gorecki's is amazing and I'm still on the first part. What a voice that bird has. Its beautiful music too.

Bärrÿ said...

Mellon Collie is an amazing album. It's the last great Pumpkins album without a doubt.

I couldn't live with Milla's The Divine Comedy. It's a brilliant album that's easy to dismiss due to it being Milla Jovovich but it is one of the most amazing and overlooked albums of the 90's

Anonymous said...

That's a tough one Longy...... but to stick to the rock'n'roll genre I would say Thin Lizzy's "Chinatown".... but I have to say that "Black Rose" has been another loyal companion... it's just what springs to my rather inebriated mind... very sad that Punk Friction is coming to an end....

Jeronyme

Longy said...

Yes I agree Hightower. Everything after Melon Collie wasn't as good (still very good though) Milla Jovovich is something I have yet to listen to.


Hi Jeronyme. Thin Lizzy I used to like alot. They made some superb albums and many great singles (Killer on the loose was a particular favourite of mine) Yes its sad mate but its time to move on. I'll still be about to annoy you all don't worry :)

Anonymous said...

frank sinatra- in the wee small hours

Longy said...

theres nowt wrong with Frank anon.