Saturday, 6 June 2009

Violators - Summer Of '81 7'' (1982)

One of my favourite singles from the much loved year of many,1982. Both sides are classics but if push came to shove then I'd have to say I prefered the B side on this one. I expect I'm in the minority but I won't lose any sleep over it :-)


Tracks


1) Summer Of '81
2) Die Fast Die Young


http://rapidshare.com/files/378010327/Summer_Of__81_7__.rar

15 comments:

Jeronyme said...

Posted their 2 singles on my old blog a while back and the question (a terrible one!) was: which single is the best "Summer Of '81" or "Gangland".... I would tend to say "Gangland".
They're both great anyway....
Prefer "Summer Of '81" on this one...

Thanx,

Jeronyme.

Longy said...

Its a differcult one Jeronyme. Love Gangland as well!

PS - Pretty 100% sure they had 3 singles (see tomorrows post :-)

garychching said...

Hi Longy, have to say I'm with you, even though the vocal are sweeter (a lot) on the a-side the b-side does it for me.

kennyhel77 said...

nice one Longy! Love the Violators. Like Summer of '81 better though

Longy said...

Cheers Gary,you've restored my faith in the human race lol

Alright Ken,hope you are well mate.

garychching said...

Job done mate, thanks for spotting the error.

Longy said...

Nice one Gary....I was only doing my duty!

gazzpunk said...

A-sider does it for me of the two.
I heard this on the radio (oh yes!) in Bristol at the time (they had a punk radio show fronted by Simon Edwards - he of Riot City fame) - and the St Paul riots had taken place (as well as in seeral other UK places I believe)- and I think this Track summed up the angst and tension that amassed in that area at he tije....great memories...oh, and a great 7"er too Longy!

gazzpunk said...

.....Apols for the typos (awful!), eating and typing...not recommended :-)

Longy said...

No need to apoligise Gazzpunk. I do it all the time (thats why I'm a fat b******)

Yes it sums up that period perfectly. Maybe we need a few more good riots the state this country is in at the moment.

gazzpunk said...

Although only a relative young 'un growing up in Bristol at that time (14/15yrs old), I recall the inner city riots but a lot of the troubles were sparked/fueled (literally, petrol bombs!!)by racial and Police tensions at the time, thankfully a thing of the past....and the music scene with Vice Squad, Chaos UK, Disorder, Court Martial, Lunatic Fringe around was pretty healthy but not always pretty!!

kennyhel77 said...

Gazz, all of those Bristol bands you mentioned were amazing.
Ken

mrpoopy said...

Thanks, dude--I haven't heard this in years! Gonna have it playing in the background when the punks and skins unite to overthrow the government!

Longy said...

Yep the Bristol Punk scene was great indeed. Cheers for the comments guys.

gazzpunk said...

Yes, Bristol had some great 'dives' (dodgy venues) in those days...I recall many a gig seeing early carnations of Vice Squad, and my personal faves, the cider-'eads Chaos UK! Saw Chaos UK in the '90s doing a gig under the moniker 'The Wazzucks', which was basically a covers band playing punk'd up versions of the Wurzels (remember them!) songs....all about getting hammered on scrumpy cider ....great times!
The Seers were another good punky/indie outfit doing the rounds at the time....as Weller says "I could go on & on but I'd sooner put some joy back in this town called malice oooh ooh yeaaaah - couldn't resist that!